By Bernard H. Lavenda (auth.)
Dr. Bernard H. Lavenda has written a brand new viewpoint on Thermodynamics to mix an previous examine thermodynamics with a brand new beginning. The e-book offers a ancient viewpoint, which unravels the present presentation of thermodynamics present in regular texts, and which emphasizes the elemental position that Carnot performed within the improvement of thermodynamics.
A New point of view on Thermodynamics will:
- Chronologically resolve the advance of the rules of thermodynamics and the way they have been conceived via their discoverers
- Bring the speculation of thermodynamics as much as the current time and point out parts of additional improvement with the union of data conception and the speculation of potential and their inequalities. New components comprise nonextensive thermodynamics, the thermodynamics of coding thought, multifractals, and unusual attractors.
- Reintroduce vital, but approximately forgotten, teachings of N.L. Sardi Carnot
- Highlight conceptual flaws in well timed subject matters comparable to endoreversible engines, finite-time thermodynamics, geometrization of thermodynamics, and nonequilibrium paintings from equilibrium loose strength differences.
Dr. Bernard H. Lavenda is Professor of actual Chemistry at Universita degli Studi di Camerino, Italy. he's recipient of the 2009 Telesio-Galeli Prize in Physics for his paintings on irreversible thermodynamics.
Read Online or Download A New Perspective on Thermodynamics PDF
Best thermodynamics and statistical mechanics books
Take the heat off of knowing thermodynamicsNow you will get much-needed aid from the strain of studying the basics of thermodynamics! This useful consultant is helping you really understand this hard engineering subject whereas polishing your problem-solving talents. Written in an easy-to-follow structure, Thermodynamics Demystified starts off via reviewing simple ideas and discussing the homes of natural elements.
One zero one PAGES fresh PLASTIC LAMINATION OVER PAPERJACKET
- A farewell to entropy: statistical thermodynamics based on information: S=logW
- Collected works. Thermodynamics
- Statistical Physics (lecture notes)
- Thermodynamics in Mineral Sciences
- Notes on Statistical Thermodynamics
Extra info for A New Perspective on Thermodynamics
Nowadays, latent heat is used in a much more restricted sense where it refers specifically to the latent heat of “fusion” or of “evaporation” (Cravalho 1981). 1) were a perfect differential, it would require the specific heats at constant pressure and volume to depend upon the temperature [cf. 44) below]. ” This could hardly be the case when it was known from Laplace’s formula for the speed of sound in air that their ratio was constant. Truesdell muses whether this is why Carnot failed to consider the case where the ratio of specific heats is constant (Truesdell 1980).
The Gr¨uneisen parameter s > 0 is the adiabatic exponent in the adiabatic relation V s T D const. The internal energy is now a power ˇ of the temperature. We will return to a discussion of power laws in Chap. 6. 5 Carath´eodory’s Attempt at the Second Law We should spend a few words on Carath´eodory’s formulation of the second law. In Carath´eodory’s attempt at formulating the second law, the integrating factor for heat plays a primary role. Carath´eodory couched the existence of the second law in the impossibility of some process taking place.
In his own words Born  writes as follows: But even as a student, I thought that they deviated too much from the ordinary methods of physics; I discussed the problem with my mathematical friend, Carath´eodory, with the result that he analyzed it and produced a much more satisfactory solution. This was about forty years ago, but still all textbooks reproduce the “classical” method, and I am almost certain that the same holds for the great majority of lectures : : : This state of affairs seems to me one of unhealthy conservatism.
A New Perspective on Thermodynamics by Bernard H. Lavenda (auth.)